School of Business and Economics
The Maastricht University School of Business and Economics (SBE) provides high-quality education, conducts excellent research, offering an international perspective in the fields of economics and international business administration. The SBE was founded in 1984 and is the biggest faculty within UM with over 4200 students from whom approximately 60% come from abroad. It is also among the 1% of the business schools worldwide to be triple-crown accredited. All programs use Problem- Based Learning (PBL) with the emphasis on problem-solving, group work and self-directed learning to prepare students optimally for the European and International knowledge society.
The city offers an incredible contrast between modern times and ancient history. Some even argue that Maastricht is the oldest city in the Netherlands. While we cannot shed any light on this specific debate, there is no denying that the city has witnessed major events in European history. Ravaged by several wars, the city eventually saw twelve European states sign the Maastricht Treaty- shaping the Europe as we know today. Therefore, Maastricht is often seen as the birthplace of the European Union, European citizenship, and the single European currency, the euro.
Time to explore Maastricht!
1. Climb up St. Pietersberg to have a phenomenal view over the city.
2. Cross one of the two bridges to really get a sense of the Maastricht atmosphere
3. Check out the Selexyz Dominicanen Bookstore, which is operating in a church. "Yes, you heard correctly - in a church!"
1. Enjoy a late breakfast at Cefé Zuid and enjoy a view over the Maas
2. Eat the best fries of the town at the Markt at the Fruituur Restaurant Reitz
3. Get some ice cream at "La Luna Rossa"
4. Check out De Gouverneur at the Markt which serves over 250 different kinds of beer